Mentor & Coaching Clinics
I have more than 30 years elite sportsman experience, 16 years as an elite level coach / manager. I understand a lot of surf clubs already have great and maybe paid coaches but a lot of surf clubs are also coached by volunteer parents or neither. My offer is not to replace or undermine their great work but to assist where / if needed. I also understand most surf clubs may be short on funds to employ a coach for the whole season and this is why I would like to offer these three simple options that will work better within your budgets.
My vision is to:
assist your current coach with better training practices and provide someone to communicate / bounce information off, or
assist volunteer coaches with a better understanding of technique and skill development, or
assist athletes with a structured training program, technique and skill development and race tactics.
If this interests you and you feel your surf club could benefit from my assistance, I have added below the costs of this services as well as our general weekend structure.
Structured Mentor & Coaching Clinics
Mentor & Coaching clinics can be designed around your current needs and included several different sessions with a single day. Recently in Darwin and Gove we ran the below program:
Friday afternoon – I coached the local board (nipper and senior) athletes while local coaches / age managers watched
Saturday morning – Coaches nipper athletes on water and beach activities while local coaches / age managers watched
Saturday lunchtime – mentoring program with coaches / age mangers for 3 hours
Saturday afternoon – ski training / coaching while local coaches / age managers practice new coaching skills
Sunday nippers – attend and watch coaches / age managers practice their new coaching skills
Sunday afternoon – elite ski training / coaching
Carnival attendance will be taking athletes for the morning warm up as well as coaching through the day including race tactics and evaluations.
Daily rate is $550 not including travel costs if required and surf clubs will be responsible for its athletes to uphold all SLSA safety guidelines.
A structured training program and / or a single coaching session per week will make a massive difference to your athletes improvement and a second set of eyes will enable your current coach to see things they may be missing. Whilst structure is important, we would be more than flexible to work with your club to ensure the above options are suitable. The end result will be your athletes performing at a stronger, more disciplined and race ready level.
If you feel any of these services would benefit your surf club / athletes please contact me for further discussions.
We have assisted the below surf clubs and state centres over the past 18 months:
- Ellis Beach Surf Life Saving Club Two Day Mentor & Coaching Clinic July 2018
- Surf Life Saving Northern Territory Coaching Clinics (Darwin & Gove SLSC) – June / July 2018
- Hervey Bay Surf Life Saving Club Three Day Coaching Clinic – Feb 2018
- Townsville / Pinic Bay Surf Life Saving Club Three Day Coaching Clinic – July 2017
- Surf Life Saving Northern Territory Coaching Clinics (Darwin & Gove SLSC) – July / August 2017
Since starting this program we have helped:
- Semaphore SLSC 2016 / 2017 season (SA, Australia) – programs, coaching clinics and SKYPE coaching
- Mermaid Beach AEME SLSC (QLD, Australia) (2010 – 2015)- 5 years as Head Coach plus achieving first ever national gold water medals, KNG Series athletes, multiple SLS awards including 2015 Surf Club of the Year
- Kurrawa SLSC (QLD, Australia) – 5 years as surfs sports manager / ski coach
- Devonport SLSC (TAS, Australia) – first ever national water medals
- Coolum SLSC (QLD, Australia) – coaching clinic
- Forster SLSC (NSW, Australia) – coaching clinic
- Coffs Harbour (NSW, Australia) – coaching clinic
- Port Macquarie (NSW, Australia) – coaching clinic
International Athletes include:
- Canadian Master National Team athletes (Rescue 2012) – programs and SKYPE coaching
- Europe athletes (ocean paddlers) – programs and SKYPE coaching
- New Zealand athletes (ocean paddlers) – programs and SKYPE coaching